Tuesday, August 29, 2023

( via / via / via )

"I think it will be agreed that this Latin translation rings better than the original. It is laden with more gravitas, and more pietas."

"Jersey City has made several strong bids for fame, with but moderate success, but its claim to distinction at last is firmly established. Nothing like this possibly could have come from any other place." --Los Angeles Herald 4-18-1909 (via)

Just ampersanding.

"Entanglement

Among vetch and dandelions,
hollow shells, inhabitants gorged
by blackbirds whose songs tremble
in summer’s heat, you emerge -
wrap around my calves, bind
my arms, entwine my throat, caress
my neck, my ears – insidious
as haar that creeps in from the sea
to steal the sun. Overhead, siren
insistence of oystercatchers, while
beneath the hawthorn bush
a magpie tilts its head. Across
years and continents,
we cannot decohere."

--Marian Christie

"Betelgeuse is continuing to behave mysteriously."

No comments: