Wednesday, February 28, 2024

( via / via )

"So neither of them really said a word all night."

"Riddle 5

I’m on my own · iron-wounded,
barb- and bladescarred, · battle-action-cloyed,
wearied by weapons; · to war no stranger,
fighting foemen; · fool’s overweening
to hope I’ll be helped · in the hurlyburly
ere I’m doomed and done for · amid duelling champions,
hacked to pieces · by hammers’-leavings:
hardedged, honesharp · handwork of smiths
bites me in boroughs · and I must abide until
a loathlier meeting. · Never leechcrafty
friend to physic me · can I find in townships
to heal my hurts · with herbal simples,
but my wounds widen · from wicked edges’
deadly onslaughts · by day and night."

--Rahul Gupta from the Exeter Book (via academia.edu)

"From time to time, language dies. / It is dying now. / Who is alive to speak it?"

" 'Ais' is one Etruscan word we may know the meaning of.

Rare evidence for its meaning comes from a story about a statue of Augustus, reported by the Roman historian Suetonius:

When lightning struck off the C of CAESAR, it left AESAR – which 'in the Etruscan tongue means "god".' " --@DannyBate4

Kamakura, Japan.

No comments: