Friday, March 01, 2024

( via / me )

"If the picture really showed Crowley and Pessoatogether, it had to be in the only place and in the only moment in which the two hadmet. That is, it had to be Portugal, September 1930."

"Mallarmé: Angoisse

To-night I do not come to conquer thee,
O Beast that dost the sins of the whole world bear,
Nor with my kisses' weary misery
Wake a sad tempest in thy wanton hair;

It is that heavy and that dreamless sleep
I ask of the close curtains of thy bed,
Which, after all thy treacheries, folds thee deep,
Who knowest oblivion better than the dead.

For Vice, that gnaws with keener tooth than Time,
Brands me as thee, of barren conquest proud;
But while thou guardest in thy breast of stone

A heart that fears no fang of any crime,
I wander palely, haunted by my shroud,
Fearing to die if I but sleep alone."

--tr by Arthur Symons

Hot off the griddle.

“By the time he left, they had learned each other's names and a few words in the respective languages — afraid, happy, sleep, love . . . the beginnings of a new tongue, a pidgin which they were perhaps the only two speakers of in the world.”

--Gravity’s Rainbow vuia @oedipaskvass

In the ebb and tide of echo.

No comments: