Tuesday, June 18, 2024

( via / via )

Seichi junrei.

“Neoliberal democracy. Instead of citizens, it produces consumers. Instead of communities, it produces shopping malls. The net result is an atomized society of disengaged individuals who feel demoralized and socially powerless.”

― Noam Chomsky

"...A disproportionate amount of chart-toppers come from the bleakest peripheries of the Industrial music subculture."

"The Commuter

   I’m careworn weary,
a faceless face ‧ in a flock of suits,
a sullen shield-wall ‧ shifting homeward.
From platform push ‧ to packed out train,
crumpled in carriage, I’m careworn weary,
enclosed by stress ‧ and collar white.
My neck abraded, I need escape,
bound to bosses – bondsman loyal
tied by necktie ‧ tightly knotted,
Oaths sworn to office ‧ unappreciated.
The rails rumble, a rhythmic dirge,
an uneasy echo ‧ of my empty life.
then brakes biting ‧ break the song-spell:
A squealing scream, shriek of ravens,
slows to standstill ‧ our steel paved journey,
this train of thralls, tired and jaded,
that wait for word ‧ of what is wrong.
The carriage carries ‧ its crowd nowhere.
I crave comfort. I’m careworn weary.
The guard gives ‧ a grim announcement:
an obstruction struck, stopping all routes.
Mute commuters ‧ make no complaint;
a broken body ‧ blocks the home-path.
My nerves ruined, I needed escape,
but the austere mortgage ‧ stopped beside me
with finger fetters ‧ fast round my throat.
Its threat a whispered, 'I know where you live.' "

--Martin Vine in Withowinde 177, p. 10, Spring, 2016 via

"Today, facsimiles of his instruments are showing up, and ensembles with no connection to his aesthetic or intentions are moving into the world, riding his coattails, diluting his oeuvre."

No comments: