Saturday, August 01, 2026

( via / via )

Maid of the Seas.

I think just about the only good depiction of an artist is the title character in Waitress (2007). We see her life, we see what she makes of it, & for several recipes she explains how she works.

Brachiosaurus heave-ho.

      "The Black Heralds

   There are blows in life so terrible ... I don’t know!
Blows as if from God’s loathing, as if
the sudden wake of every suffered thing
just welled up ... I don’t know.

   They are few; but they are ... they dig deep trenches
in the finest face, the straightest back.
Maybe they’re the outriders of some atrocious Attilas;
or the black heralds that Death sends.

   Those steep plunges the Christs of the soul take
into despair;
some adorable faith that Fate’s blasphemed.
Those blows are the red crackling
of the loaf that burns at the oven’s door.

   And man ... poor, poor man ... he glances round
as when someone, standing behind him, claps him
to attention: his crazy eyes glance round,
& everything he’s always lived
pools in guilt-puddles on that glance’s floor.

   There are blows in life so terrible ... I don’t know!"

—César Vallejo, 1918 (tr Cameron Clark)

Statistics.

No comments: