Wednesday, May 15, 2024

( via / via )

New Synapse.

"I also have one piece of news that will be sadder for some of you, which is that after about twelve years running, I'm shutting down Autistic Book Party... When I started this project, back in 2011, it was genuinely hard to find openly autistic authors of speculative fiction for adults. I knew there was interest in that topic, as a part of the big, post-RaceFail wave of interest in representation; but my list was pretty tiny and janky. The only one I knew of who worked with traditional publishers was Caiseal Mór. In 2011, it seemed to me that, if I worked hard and focused, I could get through the entire list... In the baker's dozen of years since 2011, I've watched as authors I already knew and admired obtained diagnoses, self-diagnosed, or came out publicly. I've watched #ownvoices autistic authors like Essa Hansen, Alex White, and Caitlin Starling burst into Big 5 debuts. I've watched an even bigger explosion of autistic and neurodivergent voices in self-publishing... More recently I've watched some very big names quietly, casually come out as autistic. Seanan McGuire tweeted about being autistic in 2023. Neil Gaiman casually came out as autistic on Tumblr this spring. ...and I'm sure others have already said something that, for whatever reason, I just haven't seen. I love that Neil Gaiman is one of us, but in a weird way, Neil Gaiman was the last straw. What does it actually mean to boost autistic voices in a world where there are autistic authors who've won staggering numbers of Hugos already?" --Ada Hoffmann

La machine à écrire.

CS Lewis: “When you and I met, the meeting was over very shortly, it was nothing. Now it is growing something as we remember it, what will it be when I remember it as I lie down to die, what it makes in me all my days till then - that is the real meeting. The other is only the beginning of it. You say you have poets in your world. Do they not teach you this?" --@MiaFarrow

Generative Art Timeline.

No comments: