Saturday, June 21, 2003

Parataxis on the level of the sentence. I
remember how happy i was when The New Sentence
came out. I'd published my cut-up novel Mysteries
From Forgotten Worlds
a few years earlier, using
an identical technique (inspired by Tender Buttons
as much as anything), & it seemed to validate my process
(just as Ashbery did, though i never got his kind of
reviews--i think "a tangled, maddening snarl of words"
was about the best [Factsheet Five] i received). This
book i first wrote as a 2000-page scifi novel, based
on automatic writing & a ramifying, unresolving plot,
& let it lie fallow for several years until Xerox Sutra
(later Xexoxial Endarchy) asked me if i had anything
else, after Carnivorous Equations 2. I said i
did, but it needed some work. So i sat down & read the
whole thing, & copied out all the sentences i still
liked. Then i typed them up, cut them into strips,
& spend several weeks arranging them to my satisfaction.
This text i retyped into specially measured forms
to be photographically enlarged page by page with
room for the graphics i borrowed &/or modified
out of my immense-at-that-time image repository.
The results was published as an illustrated book
which is still, i think, their best-selling book ever.
(Not that that means a lot in the small press universe.)

No comments: