Thursday, June 12, 2003

A Russian rapper.

...As soon as i utterly accepted this weakness, this aimlessness, as my
permanent condition--it began to change.

I am as incredulous of those who eschew (poetic) technique, as one
who has laboriously fashioned a pistol in prison out of scraps, when
told by another prisoner it is possible to walk through walls.

'Somehow I too must discover the smallest basic element, the cell of
my art, the tangible medium of presentation for everything...
Does the handiwork lie perhaps in the language itself, in a better
recognition of its inner life and will, its development and past?...
Does it lie in some specific study, in the more exact knowledge of
a matter?... Or does it lie in a certain well-inherited and well-increased
culture? ...But with me it is different; toward everything inherited I
have to be hostile... My continually renewed attempts to begin a
definite course of study broke down pitifully; for exterior reasons,
and because of the strange feeling that always surprised me during
it: as if I were having to come back from an inborn knowledge by a
wearisome road that again led to it by many windings.' --letters of
Rilke

"...I don't write anymore
I just sit looking at the wastebasket
with this alert intelligent look on my face." --Bill Knott

"You choose to lose reason before losing face" --Al Stewart

"However, if you are unskilled in the subtle transformative
processes of language, it is best not to write down your ugly thoughts."
--Leonard Cohen, Death of a Lady's Man (1978)

I don't want to take anything from you, i just want you to
unclench your fists.

No comments: