Wednesday, June 11, 2003

A virtual shrine to Freyja. (via Metafilter)

Interesting discussion on Josh Corey's blog about the poetics of "aperture"
& the poetics of "closure". (Although my first thought is, you can't write a poem without both.) I'll just
call "closure" the Mullah stance, & "aperture" the Dervish; & observe that (since i am not a dualist) as a
dervish you can spin clockwise or counterclockwise--. (The rest of the allegory is up to you.)

Another star that figures in my personal mythology is Lalande 21185.
I found it mentioned in a book i read as a kid, as possibly having planets; immediately
i wrote a story set on one of those imaginary planets. It still slips into my poetry from
time to time, mainly as a way of referencing previous works in which i've used it. I
always see the planet as cloud-enveloped, foggy & misty, something like the old
idea of Venus...but populated by giant snails.

No comments: