Sunday, August 10, 2003

'In the second unspeakable hour love makes the heart
taste a violent death, and the heart goes through death,
but it does not die. And yet the soul has not known
love for long, and has barely moved from the first to
the second hour.' --Hadewijch, in Medieval Woman
Writers
, ed. Katharina Wilson, 1984

Arrogance: how others judge my work, judges them.
Not arrogance: how others judge me, judges them.
(I tend to want to have it the other way.)

Nothing has done me more harm than the will to
believe. It always perverts my devotion.

Publishing poetry--like trying to guess the combination
of a safe, but most of your guesses aren't even
considered numbers.

I don't remember my dreams, i don't even remember
that i dream. Only, sometimes, i belatedly infer it--
by a thought that i could not have had, waking.

Of all the reasons for a musician to cover a song or a
critic to write about a book, doing justice must be the
rarest.

No comments: