Tuesday, August 26, 2003

The 'tater that exploded. One of my wife's
friends was cooking new potatos in the microwave.
She bit into one & it exploded in her mouth, burning
her severely. Her husband heard the report clear
in the next room!

Stefan George: Ihr alten bilder schlummert mit den toten

'You ancient visions with the dead have vanished,
I lack the strength to conjure you again,
Since from the true dominions I was banished,
I now wil taste the splendor tinged with bane.

By rumors of enchantment I am stricken:
The meadows of an azure vale reveal
How herons white and rosy-colored quicken
The nearby lake that sleeps and shines as steel.

There, as in symmetry of chords she paces,
Her upward pointed finger lifts and takes
The shrouding garment by its silken laces,
That in the night she wove of willow flakes.

O subtle play divined behind these veilings!
My senses wrought the fancy we were paired,
Before through vines that screen with bloomy trailings
Down to the nearby lake she slowly fared.'


--Poems tr Valhope & Morwitz (1943)
[I italicized this because in the original, George's poems
are printed in a peculiar typeface sort of like Carolingian
uncials, & he doesn't capitalize nouns, an effect impossible
to simulate in English...]

No comments: