Thursday, November 06, 2003

"There, in that low-ceilinged room, I had often said
to Fay and to Tom that there was no way out but that
the acceptance of this could itself be a beginning."
--Alexander Trocchi, Cain's Book

When i have watched fire as many hours as i have
watched television, my mind will be free.

"I remember a despairing white father in the Belgian
Congo saying to me just before the debacle when I was
bound on some such mission, 'There is another great
age of darkness closing in on the life of man and all
that we can do is to create little fortresses wherein the
authentic light of the spirit can be kept burning so that
one day, when men wish to reach out for light again,
they will have places in which to find it. But for the rest,
we must just accept the inevitability of disaster.' 'You
may well be right, and disaster may well come,' I had told
him. 'But for me it will always be a point of honor to go on
working to prevent disaster, if only to make certain it is
the right kind of disaster life needs when it does ultimately
come.' " --Laurens van der Post, Jung and the Story of
Our Time
, 1975

We shouldn't kill trees unless we dance on their graves.

"Those who are willing to be vulnerable move among
mysteries." --Roethke

The wings of poetry, the claws of prose.

"Laughter is the best pesticide." --Nabokov

"Different modes of dehumanization: capitalism treated
men like machines; the post industrial society treats
them like signs." --Octavio Paz

On the treadmill you feel surrounded by interstellar
space.

"There's nothing I have to say to everybody in the world."
--Ken Kesey, 1970 interview

"Tell me what a man dreams and I will tell you what he
is." --Arab proverb

"Humanism could well be defined as the way the inhabitants
of a good city habitually behave." --Kenneth Rexroth

No comments: