Monday, January 19, 2004

Metafilter thread on Deep Spring College, a place i actually considered, but rejected because of the all-male thing...

"Likewise, here's the Pacheco poem (I think translated by Alastair Reid):

HIGH TREASON

I do not love my country. Its abstract splendor
is beyond my grasp.
But (although it sounds bad) I would give my life
for ten places in it, for certain people,
seaports, pinewoods, fortresses,
a run-down city, gray, grotesque,
various figures from its history,
mountains
(and three or four rivers).

My "parody," quite arbitrary:

I do not love poetry. Its abstract splendor
is beyond my grasp.
But (although it sounds bad) I would give my life
for ten sonnets, certain lines,
tankas, epigrams, prose poems,
a language poem, strange, grotesque,
various poets from its history,
epics
(and three or four tanagas)."

--Haring Makata

A Collection of Tammuzi Poetry in translation (including Adonis). (via Parking Lot)

No comments: