Tuesday, January 20, 2004

"Secular Muslim is my favorite way in describing me. When me and myself sit to discuss the issues of religion and culture, we never fight.
Islam is that huge heritage of architecture -- my grandfather's court yard house, music -- um kalthum and fayrooz, food -- doolma and yabsah, colors -- green palm trees and brown bricks, language -- my love letters and quraan, poems -- Sayyab and motanabbi, books Jaaberi and kanafani, smell and taste-- bakhoor and hareesa, chai -- abo el heel and noomi al basra, quraan -- mosques and harmony, and .. me :--)
Maybe that's why we can't drop that heritage or hand it over easily to other people with long beards just because they are religious and me and my self are anti-religious. I mean, where is the point? I don't believe in the Islamic religion, but I am a part of the Islamic culture and society.... the point that I am a secular person, I belong to the big seculars family, and all this crap about religions doesn't move a hair on my body (it's an Arabic expression)." --Raed
[A distinction often lost on the American media. I myself am fond of many things in Islamic culture (food, music, architecture) but i have no use for this or any other monotheism...]

No comments: