Wednesday, February 18, 2004

"a chacun son infini" --Villiers de l'Isle-Adam

I glanced at the clock on the wall with this question in mind: is it time for the mail to have come yet? I saw that it was about 11 and thought, No. Then i wondered, having made some tea, what minute it had been (so i could let it steep for 10 minutes), and found that though i looked at the clock before, i didn't know the minute--yet i had seen and noticed it, without understanding it in that way. The question precluded any other answer than the one i'd sought. So it is that too strenuous purposefulness creates blind spots: concentration leaves its shadow. Proving again, its special usefulness lies in infrequent application.
   --Is it that everyone needs glasses, for instance? (Ask an optometrist) Or rather that we proliferate details past their natural occurrence?
   Banality: the atomization of matter. Reduction of experience to facts & things & structured context (e.g. time schedule, space coordinates).

The question i've always been dying to ask some guru: how does a person meditate with Post-Nasal Drip??? [focus on the snot]

Heidegger & the Nazis: "I didn't know I was compromising myself with absolute evil, I thought I was just working within the system."

What you steal from the night, you return to the day.

No comments: