Friday, February 27, 2004

"Down to the trackless wood, full pale and overcast." --Dobson

  Sky-spanning contrails
First thing i see going out
  Then the cold hits me
Where else is there so much blue
To a February day?

02 27 04

   "Good Friday"

What do you expect frightened stupid people to do? We can't all be genius heroes of detachment. When i watch the huddled masses noisily milling in the theater lobby, i think: this is their Woodstock. It affirms their frail identities, even as it blows them away with melodramatic ultraviolence. It makes their anger feel righteous.

02 27 04

   "My Rap Song"

My rap song goes like this: i have to drive almost an hour each way to work, in a car that sometimes breaks down & leaves me stranded & i have to call triple-A which my mother pays for so she won't have to go out & rescue me in her slightly more reliable junker.

02 27 04

   "The Smoke of Satan into the Church"

I started writing this at Shiloh & Northwest Highway; Elvis is singing. This is a light industrial area with mostly good traffic flow but often a chemical reek in the air. The sun pouring in through my windshield is starting to make me uncomfortably warm. I see a shopping cart tilting half off the curb.

02 27 04

No comments: