Thursday, March 11, 2004

"...ne he stondeth, ne he moveth, ne he holdeth no sylence, ne he spekith."
--Deonise Hid Diuinite

"Figuring isn't the same as theology.
Sums are not set as a test on Erasmus.
Reader, I offer a hasty apology;
Figuring isn't the same as theology.
Poison-pen writing is not toxicology,
Nor are fiascos the same as miasmas.
Figuring isn't the same as theology.
Sums are not set as a test on Erasmus."

--Leigh Mercer (triolet, with palindromic refrain in italics)

"In our urbanized industrial society, nearly everything we see and hear is so aggressively ugly or emphatically banal that it is difficult for a modern artist, unless he can flee to the depths of the country and never open a newspaper, to prevent his imagination from acquiring a Manichaean cast..." --Auden

After my tooth was filled, i found myself saying in Kinko's: "Thikty thelth therthuth" (60 self service).

Decadence is a fantasy of provincials.

"I am not overly preoccupied with tomorrow's books. All I would welcome is that in the future editions of my works, especially in paperback, a few misprints were corrected." --Nabokov

No comments: