Wednesday, August 11, 2004

'As in the case of the newspapers we had received, we did not believe anything we heard on the radio concerning military affairs or foreign relations. We considered that we were listening not to live broadcasts but to tapes made by the Americans, who had deleted or altered anything unfavorable to them... At one point, Kozuka remarked, "When you think of it, the Americans are really good at this, aren't they?" "Yes," I replied. "They have to take out anything they don't want heard and then rebroadcast it in almost no time. ...Just one slip, and the whole thing would sound fishy. I take off my hat to them. It must be very tricky work!" Later, when I found out that the broadcasts had not been faked, it occurred to me that it had been "very tricky work" indeed for us to read into the news broadcasts the meanings we wanted them to have.' --Onoda, op cit

'One difficulty with the Japanese language is that it has many words meaning "I" and "you", and they have to be chosen with care... In the Japanese army, the common words for "you" were kisama and omae, both of which can easily sound insulting if not used with caution. We dodged this problem by using the Tagalog words ako for "I" and ikao for "you". I tried very hard not to say anything that would make Kozuka angry, and he did the same toward me. ...our world had a population of two, both male...' --ibid

'If he [Suzuki] had not been wearing socks, I might have shot him. But he had on these thick woolen socks even though he was wearing rubber sandals. ...I came to the conclusion that the young man must really be Japanese.' --ibid

No comments: