Monday, February 06, 2006

"Spimes that blog? Blogjects?"


"The greatest writer in the maqâmah [rhyming prose] form...was Al-Hariri of Basrah, who was born in 1054 and died in 1122. ...There are sections composed exclusively of words with double meanings, series of sentences ending in rhyming syllables or with regular combinations of consonants throughout, and poems utilizing only certain letters of the alphabet." --Anthology of Islamic Lit*ratur* 3d J Kritz*ck (1964)


"I entered unannounced into Hallaj's room one day (says Ibn Fatik); someone had been in before me. Hallaj was in prayer, and his brow pressed to the ground. He was saying, O Thou Whose Closeness girds my very skin, Whose Mystery spurns me far away as lie all things in time from the Eternal, Thou shinest so before me that I think Thou art all these things; and then Thou dost deny Thyself in me, till I declare Thou art nothing here. And this can neither be Thy Distance, for that would fortify my selfhood, nor Thy Closeness, for that would help me; neither Thy War, for that would destroy me, nor Thy Peace, for that would comfort me. Then, noticing my presence, he raised himself." --ibid (Springtail warps it into this.)


No comments: