Tuesday, September 19, 2006

alas
("Tornado Ov*r Kansas" by John St*uart Curry)


   "CI.

Angels I saw at night knock at the wine-house gate:
They shaped the clay of Adam, flung into moulds its weight.

Spirits of the Unseen World of Purities divine,
With me an earth-bound mortal, poured forth their 'wildering wine.

Heaven, from its heavy trust aspiring to be free,
The duty was allotted, mad as I am, to me.

Thank God my friend and I once more sweet peace have gained!
For this the houris dancing thanksgiving cups have drained.

With Fancy's hundred wisps what wonder that I've strayed,
When Adam in his prudence was by a grain bewrayed?

Excuse the wrangling sects, which number seventy-two:
They knock at Fable's portal, for Truth eludes their view.

No fire is that whose flame the taper laughs to scorn:
True fire consumes to ashes the moth's upgarnered corn.

Blood fills recluses' hearts where Love its dot doth place,
Fine as the mole that glistens upon a charmer's face.

    As Háfiz, none Thought's face
    Hath yet unveiled; not e'en
    Since for the brides of Language
    Combed have their tresses been."

--Háfiz (tr H Bickn*ll, in: P*rsian Lit*ratur* 1900)


Scifi stars list with maps. (via M*tafilt*r)


L*agu* of th* Militant Godl*ss.


On my victrola- Lucinda Williams: Car Wh**ls on a Grav*l Road


"moss hung trees
a deer moves into
the hunter's silence"

--Winona Bak*r


No comments: