Friday, October 27, 2006

Six word story follow-up. (via M*tafilt*r)


"The quickness of his mind--it had never seemed to him so nimble, so exquisite of mechanism of syllogism and deduction--was contraposed against his blind instinct of the would-be self-deceiver, in a conflict to which the latter brought something of desperation, the fierce, agonised desperation of a hunted animal at bay."

--3rn*st Dowson, Studi*s in S*ntim*nt


Hazmat Modin*. (via NPR)




   "Odyssey of the Wind Materials (first line by Claude McKay)

'Stray melodies of dim remembered runes'
Return when I am anything but ready.
What is a poet stricken thus, but giddy
With future thwarts, and present lost balloons?
I fail, and I am wise with a plangent mist
That tells me all I need to know of beginnings.
Riddle me more, or let the next swift innings
Contain their inmost cure as much as thirst!

Ah, well. I dwell among such eerie forms,
I learn and lose my way as at the first;
Someday when a chance wind sends me reeling
I"ll know what sort of monster writes these norms,
And what black seas I carry for my visit's ceiling."

--Yoko Mand*lbrot


Big As Night, 2.


' "Were all these poets from Karabagh too?" I interrupted.
"No, noble sir, but our poets are better, even if they refuse to imprison their words in dead letters. They are too proud to write down their poems--they just recite them." '

--Kurban Said, Ali and Nino (tr Graman, 1970)


No comments: