Tuesday, September 05, 2023

( via / via )

"This is as sane, cheery and level-headed an account of a nervous breakdown as you could ever hope to see."

"The fact is that Dante, by many expressions throughout the poem, shows himself to have been a notably bad climber; and being fond of sitting in the sun, looking at his fair Baptistry, or walking in a dignified manner on flat pavement in a long robe, it puts him seriously out of his way when he has to take to his hands and knees, or look to his feet; so that the first strong impression made upon him by any Alpine scene whatever is, clearly, that it is bad walking." --John Ruskin, qtd in Longfellow's notes to his Inferno.

Itzcuintli Dog With Me. I was not actually a fan of hers until this painting came to Dallas in a travelling show. I still think it is one of the scariest paintings I've ever seen (no photo does it justice). I think the little dog "represents" Death. Or maybe just her own death, that went everywhere she did.

"AIR, FROM THE OLD WELSH

Like seaweed under water,
The uneventful trees
Move at my window
In the mist of the morning.

If I could count the leaves
And multiply them by
The number of seasons left me,
And were every leaf a love,
There still would not be enough
To have before I die.

Ah, what stubborn stuff
I waken to find
In the cells of the mind
On the sills of the morning."

--Rolfe Humphries

"Sikun Labyrinythus," however, is a place on Titan. Which took me to a website for planetary placenames because, y'know, it's not enough just to go there...

No comments: