Thursday, April 17, 2003

Some say Harry S Keeler is the worst writer in the world.
Some say Lionel Fanthorpe. And some say Amanda Ros. They all have their fans... (I myself am something of a partisan of Baron Corvo.) But after the merely inept, there is a kind of talent that refuses to be readable. And i wonder if someday, these writers will be preferred to ones who catered to the market.

I don't play my Fushitsusha double album very often, but i did after the war started. It was the next best thing to being in Baghdad.

On misreading: when i was a kid, i thought Grand Funk Railroad's "Closer to Home" was a song about Watergate. A few years back, i looked at the dates & discovered it couldn't have been. But for me, it will still be the song about Nixon--"I'm your captain!"--when i hear it.

Looks like Jose Garcia Villa is being rediscovered. Most famous, perhaps, for his poems in which commas separated every word, i think his most interesting invention was backwards-consonance rhyming. (Edmund Wilson wrote a poem or two that attempted truly phonetic reversal, but his vowels are all messed up.) I still think the number of possible formalisms is much greater than anyone, even versification-geeks, can imagine. But this is probably not the time for such inquiries...!

No comments: