Thursday, September 04, 2003

The Price of Repeated Transformations Is a
Zigzag Course & Spells of Confusion.

"At Netanya 1968 Bobby and the Dutch player
Hans Ree discussed the story of how Wilhelm
Steinitz
reputedly claimed in his sad, final
days that he could give odds of pawn and move
to God. Fischer said no one could give odds
to the Almighty. Then, according to Ree's
account in a Dutch book, Fischer began to
speculate out loud: 'But with White I should
be able to draw against Him. I play 1.P-K4
and if we have a Ruy, the position would be
balanced, I could never lose.' Fischer became
concerned about what would happen if his
opponent replied 1...P-QB4 and got into an
open variation of the Sicilian. 'No, no,
then I play B-QB4 and I'm better,' he
concluded. 'So, what can He do?' " --July
'88 Chess Life

No comments: