Monday, November 17, 2003

"The fatal Sisters three,
which spun my slender twine,
Knew well how rotten was the yarne,
from whence they drew their line."
--Gascoigne

"The oftener sene, the more I lust,
the more I lust, the more I smart,
the more I smart, the more I trust,
the more I trust, the heavyer hart,
the hevy hart breedes myne unrest,
thy absence therfore, lyke I best..."
--Googe

"Her face, her tongue, her wit
  so fair, so sweet, so sharp
first drew, then bent, last knit
  mine eye, mine ear, my heart..."
--Arthur Gorges (#79)

"Spencer, in affecting the Ancients writ no language."
--Ben Jonson

"When, in praising a poet, it is said that he has 'found
his own voice', what is usually meant is that he has
developed a manner of self-dramatization sufficiently
consistent that a single persona seems to be the source
of all his poems. 'Voice' in this sense equates with a
manner of delivery, a stance, a style that the audience
may not share but that it can at least recognize..."
--Thomas Disch (in The Nation)
[nowadays we use the word branding for this]

"Next to zucchini squash, poetry must be the most
overproduced commodity in the world." --Judson
Jerome, 1980

I can stand humidity and i can stand stupidity but i
can't stand humidity plus stupidity.

People are starting to ignore driving etiquette as
they do precise punctuation. On one level, it's the
haste of desperation; on another, the false sovereignty
of an individualism for which anything not coerced
can be instantly jettisoned.

To be lonely is to experience solitude as a victim.

No comments: