Monday, December 29, 2003

'...those rebel angels--the prime numbers--' --Francois Le Lionnais, OuLiPo tr Warren Motte (1986)

'...that curious dark-blue light was beginning to steal through the window-panes that in a gas-lit cafe is the equivalent of daybreak.' --Gustav Meyrink, The Golem (tr Madge Pemberton, 1928)

"I had thought that only beetles had this delusion of progress." --Ursula LeGuin, Buffalo Gals

" 'Which would be worse: a world without music or a world without dogs?'
'I don't know. Music, I suppose. Yes, music. I think you could probably miss dogs if there weren't any. I mean you could wish there was something midway between a rat and a wolf to have around you--only tamer. But if there wasn't any music then you couldn't even miss it. And that would be worse.' " --Amanda Prantera, Conversations with Lord Byron...

"cum minus abnuerit noctem desisse viator
quam coepisse diwem..." --Punica V. 27-28 ('...a time when the way farer is less sure that day has begun than that night is ended')

"A grove of ( ) bamboo...at ground zero at Hiroshima survived the blast and sprouted within days." --James Gorman

"i throw away my glasses and accept my way of seeing" --dan raphael

   "48.

This smoky winter morning
do not despise the green jewel shining among the twigs
because it is a traffic light."

--Charles Reznikoff

"Guns, cradled on the tide,
Blast the eelgrass about a waterclock
Of bilge and backwash..." --Lowell

"I think it is often so that those most in need of change choose to fall in love and then throw up their hands and blame it all on fate. But it is not fate, at least, not if fate is something outside of us; it is a choice made in secret after nights of longing. When I have shaken off my passion, somewhat as a dog shakes off an unexpected plunge into the canal, I find myself without any understanding of what it was that ravaged me." --Jeanette Winterson, Sexing the Cherry (1989)

'I don't understand: where does everything that passes through the soul disappear to? The unsaid. To yourself, without words. But it was there.' --Zinaida Gippius in: A Difficult Soul

No comments: