Tuesday, April 06, 2004

'O Lord of the Dark Blue Throat,
I have the very same Six Thou hast.
And yet, estranged from Thee, I suffer misery.
There surely is this difference:
Thou art the master of the Six,
By the Six I have been robbed.'

--Lal Ded, tr Jayalal Kaul

I hear "Twin Peaks" is a big craze in Japan [1992]; they say David Lynch has wabi.

from Linguica 13: "Recent events seem to have somewhat broadened the spectrum of permissable discourse in the American mass media. Now they're willing to admit something's wrong, which is a step in the right direction. It remains to be seen whether even this small awakening can withstand the winds of amnesia (till November is the utmost of my hopes). Meanwhile Empire & Entropy contend in the arena of anomie; & smart money favors the arms merchants."

"Here the coelacanth awaited us in a large trellis-work cage that was hauled up from the depths. I observed its slow and measured movements, its primitive appearance, its sharp hooked teeth. Most of all I was conscious of its eyes. Definitely not your usual opaque fish eyes. These were alert, watching, waiting. The eyes of a predator, the eyes of man's ancestor." --Edwin Morrisby, Unpackaged Tours (1988)

"Without these shadows I would be
In air one wave of ruinous light" --Gwendolyn MacEwen

'I fear continually that the premature night
will hunt me down darkly one noon...' --Waclawiwaniuk (tr)

"Basho and friend are of course moved by the sight of the child who has been left to die from exposure and starvation, but precisely in the way that one would be moved by the sight of an abandoned kitten or puppy; tossing it a bit of food, he and his companion are content to continue on their poetic journey once they have resolved their emotions by assigning the waif its place in the pseudo-Buddhist world-view of late 17c. Japan, and--most important of all--have memorialized the incident with a learned poetic allusion." --Roy Andrew Miller, Nihongo (1986)

No comments: