Wednesday, April 07, 2004

"There are more statues of Stalin in Albania than petrol stations." --Edwin Morrisby, op cit

"...each given name in Japan, men's & women's alike, is in theory at least supposed to be a unique coinage made up for the occasion by the parents, rather than being selected (as is customary in the West) from a ready-made repertory..."
--Nihongo

"No eye sees the seas I know." --David Morice in 5/92 Word Ways

"The author is of the opinion that Basque is in fact, New High Cro-Magnon." --Michael Girsdansky, The Adventure of Language

"I was against the U.N. resolution on the use of force in the Persian Gulf. In fact, I debated Charlton Heston on the Donahue show." --Jerry Brown, The Nation interview [1992]

"Sirius is too young to remember." --Basil Bunting

The six men who crossed Antarctica on dogsled spent 2 months under the Ozone Hole. There, exposed skin burns severely within a few minutes... They have seen the future...

"I more & more am coming to believe that the wellsprings of many of our biggest decisions have nothing to do with those storylike contrivances we insist are our reasons; more like avalanches than stimulus-response... After i had been here awhile i realized i didn't know why i left Dallas; that everything i'd believed were causes had vanished like a summer rain which leaves the sidewalks dry an hour later." --letter

'Each person takes his revenge on the world. Mine consists in carrying my grief and anguish deeply embedded within myself, while my laughter entertains all. If I see someone suffer I symoathize with him, console him to the best of my ability, and listen to him quietly when he assures me that I am fortunate. If I can keep this up to the day of my death I shall have had my revenge.' --Kierkegaard's Diary (among the books at Teahouse K-- Y--)

...I exchange maybe ten words a week with V--, otherwise i only talk to telephone zombies. Wondering if the Krishnas on Vancouver Island are filled up, or still there even...Ha! they'd probably send me to an airport to shake down the newly-disoriented arrivals from depression-elsewhere.

'The Desert is Monotheistic.' --Renan

No comments: