Wednesday, September 03, 2003

People i have six or more albums by: Frank Sinatra,
Nina Simone, Messiaen, Tori Amos, Patti Smith, The
Ventures, & Throbbing Gristle.

A new "Mauberley" for the 1990's, with just the right mix of elegy & sarcasm. (pdf, via Free Space
Comics
)

For a desert island, i'd have to have the eye-readable OED
(it could double as most of my furniture, too).

I have become so leery (& weary) of "poetics" in prose
that the only book i can think of is Gilbert Highet's Poets
in a Landscape
(1957)--one of my favorite books--a
close exploration of seven Roman poets, in relation to
their lives & the places they lived in (with cute Rolleiflex
tourist-fotos, too). This is a terrific read even if you have
no Latin & are only vaguely familiar with these poets in
translation. I wish this kind of book were available
for all my favorite writers. I think that no one understands
a writer unless they have tried to imagine the way he
or she lived; & where.

   "DC 9/11: Time of Crisis"

Flick empyrion
For that scaly mazuma.
Soot of a gerund.
From the rust-colored mesa,
Somber olive vacuole.

09 02 03

Listening to: Lycia- Estrella.


No comments: